Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) administers the Greek/Student Organization food service program. The goals of this program are to provide a full service permitting and inspection program that will ensure safe operation of food service facilities on campus. EHS Personnel who perform inspections are ServSafe certified and trained to conduct compliance evaluations. Food service facilities are permitted by The University, inspected at least each semester by EHS and are held to the same food handling and preparation standards as commercial establishments. The food service program guidelines follow:
- New food service area plans must be reviewed by EHS prior to opening.
- Each food service area/kitchen must complete an application for Food Safety Program Permit To Operate and submit it to EHS.
- Each food service area/kitchen must have a valid permit issued and posted by EHS.
- Each food service area/kitchen must post the most recent inspection report in a prominent place that may be observed by patrons.
- EHS will conduct a scored inspection at least once each semester the kitchen is operating.
- EHS may conduct inspections at any time.
- Inspection scores of less than 70 will result in closure of the kitchen until corrections are made and the re-inspection score is 80 or above.
- Inspection scores of 70-75 will result in a re-inspection within three (3) days.
- A re-inspection score of 80 or greater is required to retain unrestricted operating status.
- A time frame for correction of major violations may be established by the inspector. Failure to correct these violations within the established time frame will result in closure until correction is made and re-inspection criteria are met.
- Inspections resulting in a restricted operating status or scores of 75 or less will be reported to the Director of Housing and Residential Communities and the Office of the Dean of Students.
- Guidelines for food handling and preparation are available from the Alabama Department of Public Health.
- At least one Servsafe certified individual must be present when the kitchen is in operation.
For questions about this program, contact EHS.