Stormwater Management Program
The University of Alabama has been issued a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit for stormwater discharges from regulated small municipal separate storm sewer systems (MS4). The permit number is ALR040031. The Office of Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) is The University of Alabama department which is responsible for management of the Stormwater Management Plan (SWMP). The purpose is to protect the water quality of the Black Warrior River and to satisfy requirements of the Clean Water Act. The University of Alabama SWMP includes various management practices, control techniques, engineering methods, and other provisions.
Minimum Control Measures
There are six minimum control measures outlined in the permit requirements. UA must provide training and information for UA personnel and the public on how we implement each of these control measures. This information is provided below:
- Stormwater Overview – General Information
- Stormwater Public Education and Outreach
- Stormwater Public Involvement and Participation
- Stormwater Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination (IDDE)
- Stormwater Construction Site Runoff Control
- Stormwater Post-Construction Stormwater Management in new Development and Redevelopment.
- Stormwater Pollution Prevention and Good Housekeeping.
Each minimum control measure will be addressed and detailed separately as part of the Stormwater Management Plan.
Stormwater Management SOP’s
- Bulk Liquid Storage
- Fuel and Oil Handling
- Underground Storage Tanks
- Vehicle Fueling
- Vehicle Washing
- Vehicle Maintenance
- Equipment Maintenance
- Outdoor Material Storage
- Management of Pesticides, Herbicides, and Fertilizers
- Landscaping and Ground Maintenance
- Street Sweepers
The SOP’s are locate here.
For additional information, contact EHS at 348-5905.